Monday 16 September 2013

Sooner or later?

It's funny how life turns out the way you would have never imagined. When we are little, we believe we can do everything. Nothing seems too complicated, because we know the Universe will always help us succeed. We start defining our personality, as well as setting goals. Why do we all need setting goals? Well, because life is nothing but a complex map, while goals represent the waypoints. Taking such a long trip without following the path or getting directions would have the same painful consequence: getting lost.

As we grow up, we become less aware of goals' importance in our lives, and we turn into obedient robots, ruled by monotony and routine. It's not that bad, because we get used to it. Since everybody does the same thing, it means it's normal. Normal....what a dangerous word! Who actually sets the boundaries of normality? We all do, you would say. Yes, but who is "we"? It is you, them or me? Perhaps nobody, or probably everyone. Anyway, trying hard to find our way to normality is the moment when each of our dreams start fading away like falling stars, resigned to their fate.

This is not Lyanna's case. She has always been an incurable dreamer, though she is not a child anymore. She had two dreams: becoming a lawyer and getting married to a great man. The first dream came true through hard work, devotion and ambitions. The second one is about to come true, as Tom tells Lyanna that he has something very important to tell to her. They have been dating for five years, so Lyanna thinks it is something important, as he sees Tom very nervous about this date. She knows it won't be just 'an ordinary' dinner.

Jenny? It's me Lyanna! I called you because I am very excited!

Hey, Lyanna, what happened? You are so happy that I can see it in your voice!

Well, it didn't happen yet, but...It is about to happen! Tom is going to propose tonight.

Really? Wow, congratulations then! I am so happy for you. Did he tell about this surprise, or how did you find out?

No, he invited me for dinner, saying that he has something very important to tell me. He acted very weird the entire day. I am so nervous...

Lyanna has never been as happy as today. Before meeting Tom, she looks at the sky and thanks the Universe for helping her achieve everything she wanted. She can't wait to marry Tom, have children and form a family!

            Hi, honey. How are you?

            Hi...I was here, waiting for you.

            Well, here I am. I'm dying to hear what you want to tell me, she says drinking water, to calm down her nerves.




            Don't you want to eat first?

            I don't know if I can wait until then...Couldn't you tell me now?

            Okay...Lyanna...here goes nothing...I think I am gay!

Lyanna drops the glass of water on the floor.

            You deserve me to be honest with you. I just hope someday you will find the power to forgive me.

Her eyes start drowning in tears. She swallows hard and stands up.

            Good-bye, Tom! Have a nice life.

After leaving the restaurant, she walks alone on the streets, and think about how unhappy she can be. She gets lost...She doesn't want to ask for directions, so she seats on a bench, and thinks about how something like this could happen to her. She stops on a bench, looks at the sky, cries and yells:

            You knew this was going to happen! Why didn't you stop me from dreaming today? Why did you nurture my hopes and made me thing he was going to propose? Why?!

Meanwhile, a star with an amazingly long tail is falling right in front of her. She has never seen such a phenomenon before, so she looks at it, on its short journey to Earth. The beautiful but extremely long tail makes her think about very long relationships and things that happen, sooner or later. For her, it was soon enough. That star was meant to fall that particular night, as she was meant to see it.

            Thank you...Now I understand everything, She says smiling, wiping her tears away and returning home.



So, what do you think Lyanna understood from this happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment